Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Watermelon Jello

Drove really far to spend Memorial Day weekend with DH's family.  I got put incharge of dessert for our picnic.  I would love that task except I was hundreds of miles from my kitchen, so what to make????  Last year, one of my lifelong BFF's (Jenn!) made this awesome watermelon jello so I thought I would give it a shot. 
You gotta buy:  one watermelon, better to go for the long oval ones that seem to stand up by themselves. (You can also shave the bottom a bit to make it stay up),  a bunch of boxes of red jello, (I used six-raspberry),mini chocolate chips, and  boiling water.

Step ONE~ Slice watermelon long way and scoop out fruit. 


Step TWO~ Combine one boiling cup of water per one (3oz) box of jello. So six boxes, would be six cups of water.  Pour it in.  An extra pair of hands would be helpful here because you don't really want to slosh around boiling water.  Remember to not use the directions on the box.

Step THREE~ Put it in the fridge for a really long time.  I made mine around midnight and just left it in overnight, worked great.

Step FOUR~ Adding the watermelon 'seeds'.  Ideally you would want to add the mini chocolate chips right around that time when it is almost jello but not totally.  I am not good at that at all.  My mom was the expert at adding things to jello.  She would have jello masterpieces that you didn't even want to eat, just look at.  I did not inherit that jello gene, so.... I just sprinkled some chocolate chips onto the top and pushed them in with a skewer.  SShhhh!  haha.  It worked though.  You honestly couldn't tell that I made little holes on the top. 


Step FIVE~ keep in the fridge until time to serve.  Slice into watermelon slices and enjoy! 



Follow Up~  My kids thought it was the coolest thing ever!!!  My SIL, BIL, and MIL all thought I was crazy, but who really cares what adults think, right? Finger food is fun.   They did however enjoy the fruit salad that I made with the watermelon chunks and red grapes. 

{Sorry for the lack of and bad photos,  I forgot my camera and had to use my blackberry}

post signature

Linking up to...





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...